Saturday, March 5, 2011

GEAR THAT I LOVE!


Actually I was going to call this "Gear That Kicks A**!", but thought that may be inappropriate!

Anyway, I mentioned in an earlier post that I would start getting more technical. Well, Im starting with a theme that I've wanted to do for a long time - talking about outdoor gear, tackle, equipment etc that I swear by. This will be ongoing and likely morph into "techniques that kick...." and maybe other things...like "people that kick...." yada yada...

Yeah, I know - it seems self indulgent - and it is. But I know some things from growing up in a fishing & hunting camp, plus doing coutless sportshows from the time I was a baby. Outdoors enthusiasts (fisherman, hunters, canoeists etc)love to talk shop - tackle, gear, equipment, techniques etc. And hey - by all means post some comments. We'll have a "virtual bs session" - yakking like we do in the office at camp, in the yard, on the dock, in the boats, in the bush, at the sportshows etc. Sometimes I think that despite all the work that comes with this job (and there is endless work) it sure is great spending work time talking fishing etc. Beats a real job!

Anyway - nothing too techncal to start it off.....this first post about gear is about the very mundane but incredibly important.... footwear. And when it comes to summer footwear I am a die hard when it comes to my Vibram By Merrell boots.

The pic above shows my current pair of Vibrams. It is my second. The first ones I wore for about 3 years and was completely sold. After 3 years of spring, summer and fall abuse they still had full tread on the bottom. They were torn in the toes, and looking pretty ragged so, at the urging of Lori (my lovely wife who tirelessly tries to ensure that I look somewhat professional and civilized) I set out to find the replacement. I was lucky to fing the identical boot in the same place I bought the first pair - REI in Minneaplois MN.

Whe I say abuse, I mean abuse. They accompanied me on endless trips in the bush. From remote fishing lakes down nasty trails, to bear baiting, fishing minnows and hunting. I should have had a couple of broken ankles different times, but they provide deceiving ankle support. And the grips on the soles are terrific. I don`t know how many times I should have fallen off slippery rocks - either down a hill into the bush,getting into a boat on rocks that may as well be glare ice, or leaning towards a minnow pond on a steep slippery bank. They saved my bacon more than once. And often I`m alone in these situations. Inadequate footwear could result in accidents with tragic consequences.

These things are cool in hot weather - you often can actually feel the wind through them, and dry very quickly when they invariably get wet. They are very light and extremely comfortable.

So many people - loads on canoe trips - go into this rugged terrain with sneakers - or worse - flip flops. They`re OK for a day on the beach or while sitting in a canoe or a boat. Hey I get it - they`re comfortable - but so are my Merrells. My Dad was very adamant about proper footwear in the bush. He was a prospector who literally lived in a tent in the bush all over North America for over 20 years. He`s right - our number one injury with people on remote trips in the bush is twisted ankles é cut feet etc - foot injuries.

These are preventable. When I was a kid I used to head into the bush all the time with my running shoes. I`d get my butt kicked if my Dad found out. I just hated wearing my leather `bush boots` .....even though they were OK as far as comfort goes (once you got through whacks of blisters breaking them in), back then even the expensive ones were heavy. And if you weren`t diligent with `Dubbin`- ie waterproofing - they`d get wet and take forever to dry.

Now there`s no excuse. These new ones don`t even require a `break in`. Everyone has their favorite. Mine are my Merrells.

`Nuff said.

Talk soon!

Quent

No comments:

Post a Comment